Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Let the fasting begin!

If you happen to go out today (applies if you live in a Catholic country), you would see a lot of people walking around with ashes on their foreheads, because today is Ash Wednesday.

Today is a very significant day in the Catholic liturgical season as it marks the start of the Lent. 

When I was younger, I never really understood the significance of the ashes. But as I grow up, I slowly understand the deeper meaning behind it.

The ashes are actually signs of our mourning and repentance to God, a symbol of faith. We are reminded that God has done the ultimate sacrifice to save us from our sins. Thus, this is also the season when people make sacrifices such as "No eating of meat on Fridays", doing good deeds and giving up their vices.

I always hear people talking about the sacrifices they would make throughout this season, like giving up their vices - may it be drinking, smoking or spending in overpriced cups of coffee.  Others stick to the rule of no meat on Fridays while some promise to do good deeds once or twice a day.

I did a little reflection and self-assessment before I went to bed last night. This season is a perfect opportunity to evaluate ourselves on how we have been behaving as followers of Christ. I know that I have my own shortcomings and often times have I disappointed Him with my actions. But despite all of these, He continues to shower me with an overflowing amount of blessings that surprise me each and every day. 

I cannot find the perfect words to describe how amazing He is. I would be forever grateful for all the wonders that He has done in my life and I won't get tired of sharing my experiences. I know that no amount of sacrifices could ever compare for what He has done for us. But still, we do these sacrifices to show our gratitude and appreciation in return. I'm hundred percent sure that He appreciates even the simplest thing we'd do for Him. But don't you think He deserves only nothing but the best?  So why not challenge ourselves to become better followers of Christ by continuing to do good deeds even after the Lent season...

Here are some of the photos I took today at The Redemptorist Church:











I have already listed down the things that I'd give up this Lent and I might share them in another post. How about you, what are the things you are willing to give up this season?

I hope we all have a blessed week, and it's almost Valentines Day!
Spread the love. :)

God Bless!
- LMB xx


"It is through Him that I find love, joy and peace within myself because He,Himself, is the perfect definition of these words. "


No comments:

Post a Comment